This pizza was a true concoction of simply what was in the fridge. It was just after our Labor Day barbecue and I had leftover chicken. And there was that delicious harissa caramel sauce. Mmm.
Once I learned Dorothy's trick for caramelized onions, they became a kitchen staple. Same with the roasted tomatoes (this bruschetta is a base for many meals in this house these days). So, of course, they were in the fridge and given an invitation to the pizza party. Because caramel and caramelized veggies just meld so damn well.
This experiment was good just by itself, with a little oregano sprinkled on top. And then I squeezed some lemon on it and WOW. I had invented my new favorite pizza.
It was a little sweet, sour, tangy, and all around perfect. With oozy cheese. Mmmm, oozy cheese!
I was making petite pies, enough for just one, but use more dough and a bit more of all the ingredients, and you can have a big ol' pizza pie.
- 1 package personal size pizza dough or 2 ounces of a dough ball
- 1/2 cup shredded barbecued chicken
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup caramel harissa sauce
- 1/4 cup caramelized onions
- 1/4 cup roasted grape tomatoes, marinated in balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Juice of half a lemon
- Olive oil for brushing on dough
- Cornmeal or flour for sprinkling