Once I learned Dorothy's trick for caramelized onions, they became a kitchen staple. Same with the roasted tomatoes (this bruschetta is a base for many meals in this house these days). So, of course, they were in the fridge and given an invitation to the pizza party. Because caramel and caramelized veggies just meld so damn well.
This experiment was good just by itself, with a little oregano sprinkled on top. And then I squeezed some lemon on it and WOW. I had invented my new favorite pizza.
It was a little sweet, sour, tangy, and all around perfect. With oozy cheese. Mmmm, oozy cheese!
I was making petite pies, enough for just one, but use more dough and a bit more of all the ingredients, and you can have a big ol' pizza pie.
BBQ Chicken Harissa Caramel Pizza
A delightful blend of yumminess.
- 1 package personal size pizza dough or 2 ounces of a dough ball
- 1/2 cup shredded barbecued chicken
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup caramel harissa sauce
- 1/4 cup caramelized onions
- 1/4 cup roasted grape tomatoes, marinated in balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Juice of half a lemon
- Olive oil for brushing on dough
- Cornmeal or flour for sprinkling
1. Follow the directions for resting the pizza dough and preheating the oven.2. Spread the dough out to the desired thickness. Sprinkle flour or cornmeal on a baking sheet and place the dough on top.3. Brush the dough with olive oil to keep the dough from getting soggy from the ingredients, then sprinkle with about half the cheese.4. In a small bowl mix the harissa caramel with the shredded chicken and spread over the cheese. Add the tomatoes and onions. Cover with the remaining cheese.5. Put the pizza in the oven and bake until the cheese is bubbly and the dough is browned, about 10-15 minutes.6. Remove from oven, sprinkle with oregano and the lemon juice. Cut and eat.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 1 personal size pizza